Drones in Public Spaces

Australia's recreational drone safety rules have been in place since 2002 and are designed to protect people in the air and on the ground.

View information on flying drones

Lodge a complaint about a drone

Frequently Asked Questions for flying a drone

What is a ‘Drone’?

Drones are also known as Remotely Piloted Aircraft (RPAs) or unmanned aerial vehicles.

Do I need to get approval from the Town of East Fremantle to fly a drone?

You do not need approval from the Town to fly a drone within East Fremantle, however, Australia's Civil Aviation and Safety Authority (CASA) Guidelines restrict drone use to certain areas.

Is payment required?

The Town does not require payment.

Can I fly at all parks and reserves in the Town of East Fremantle?

No.  CASA Guidelines restrict drone use to certain areas.

What are the rules?

CASA has guidelines that require that drones or similar devices must be operated:

  • During the day

  • Within visual line of sight (this means being able to see the aircraft with your own eyes rather than through a device) at all times

  • You must not fly your drone higher than 120 metres (400ft) above the ground

  • You must keep your drone at least 30 metres away from other people

  • You must not fly over or above people. This could include beaches, parks, events, or sports ovals where there is a game in progress.

  • You must only fly one drone at a time.

Can the Town guarantee that the area where I want to fly the drone will be available?

The exclusive rights to areas including parks and reserves will not be given for the purpose of flying a drone. The Town cannot guarantee that the area you want to fly your drone will be available.

Who is eligible to fly a drone?

Anyone is eligible to fly a drone, but you must have approval from CASA depending on the circumstances. If the drone weighs less than 2kg and is not above 120 metres (400ft) then no approval is required by CASA.

The Federal Government has recently passed legislation that allows a person to operate a drone (that is weighing less than 2 kg) without certification from CASA.

Can I fly a drone on private property?

Yes, you can subject to CASA regulations. For more information, please contact CASA on 131 757.

It is illegal to fly a drone for commercial gain?

Flying commercially or for economic gain is illegal, unless you have your remote pilot licence or are flying in the sub-2kg category.

Please contact CASA on 131 757 for more information.

Privacy concerns?

There are potential privacy issues in operating drones.

Concerns regarding privacy issues associated with drone use should be referred to the Office of the Australian Information Commissioner in the first instance on 1300 363 992 or enquiries@oaic.gov.au