Gifts and Travel Register
NEW REQUIREMENTS FOR DISCLOSURE OF GIFTS AND CONTRIBUTIONS TO TRAVEL AND REMOTE ATTENDANCE AT COUNCIL MEETINGS
The City of Perth Act 2016 received Royal Assent on 3 March 2016 and amends the gift and contributions to travel provisions within the Local Government Act 1995 (the Act). Associated amendments have also been made to the following:
- The Local Government (Administration) Regulations 1996, and
- The Local Government (Rules of Conduct) Regulations 2007
As of 4 March 2016, the Act requires relevant persons who accept a gift worth more than $200 to disclose this gift, in writing, to the chief executive officer (CEO) within 10 days of receipt. This replaces the previous process of disclosing these in the annual return.
All contributions to travel over $200 must also be disclosed as do multiple gifts or contributions from the same donor where the total value is over $200. The threshold for disclosures remains the same as do the other disclosures required under the Act for the annual return.
A relevant person is defined under section 5.74 of the Act as a person who is a council member or a designated employee which includes:
- council members
- the CEO
- employees with delegated powers and duties under Part 5, Division 4 of the Act
- employees who are members of committees comprising elected members and employees, and
- other employees nominated by the local government to be designated employees.
Details of the major amendments can be found on the Department of Local Government and Communities website here.
Click Register for Gifts and Contribution to Travel for the Town of East Fremantle 'Register of Gifts and Contributions to Travel'.