Rate Rebates And Deferments

(Applicable to RATES only, all other charges to be paid in full).

As part of the 2017/18 State Budget, the state government announced that from the rating year commencing 1 July 2017, the 50% concession allowed to eligible pensioners on local government rates would be restricted to a capped amount.  Western Australia was the only State not to provide a dollar cap on Local Government Rates. 

The pensioner rates capped amounts will be set each year, consistent with the manner in which senior’s rates caps are set.  The gazettal of the cap amounts usually occurs in late June, prior to the commencement of the rating year.  The pensioner rate capped amount has been announced as $750 for 2017/18. 

Please note - The Town of East Fremantle does not administer the laws in regards to pensioner concessions.  If you wish to lodge a complaint regarding the capping of the pensioner rebate you will need to contact your local Member of Parliament  

Seniors who meet the following eligibility criteria are entitled to claim a rebate of up to 25%, where the rebate is limited to a maximum amount.

Eligibility Criteria - to be eligible for concessions under the Rates and Charges (Rebates and Deferments) Act 1992, an applicant must:

  • be the owner and reside in the property on 1 July of the rating year;
  • if a Pensioner, either:
    • be in receipt of a pension and hold a pensioner concession card or State concession card;
    • or hold a Seniors Card issued by the Office of Seniors Interests and a Commonwealth Seniors Health Card;
    • or if a Senior, hold a Seniors Card issued by the Office of Seniors Interests.

Register your entitlement with Council or the Water Corporation (concessions only apply once your application is received and registered). A pro-rata rebate may be available from the date of registration to Pensioners and Seniors who become eligible after 1 July of the rating year.

Please contact Council where you have rate arrears outstanding on the property and you meet the eligibility criteria. You may be able to enter into an arrangement that entitles you to a rebate or deferment.

If your circumstances change, particularly with respect to your ownership or occupation of the property, or your eligibility as a Senior or Pensioner - you must notify Council and the Water Corporation. Your registration will be cancelled or amended, as appropriate.

If you have any queries please contact Councils Rates Section on 9339 9339.